Labels

baking (1) beach (1) bloggers (3) cakes (9) candies (1) cupcakes (9) dogs (1) FAIL (2) fall (2) fashion (2) hiking (2) holidays (5) home decor (6) Michigan (1) outdoors (5) photography (5) plants (1) travel (2) wedding (3) wine (1)

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Real Cake!

Well kids. It's now or never. I have my first Real Cake order. For someone else. To serve to other people. FORTY - 4.0. - other people. Yes, all of my nails have been bitten to the quick.

The occasion: 2nd grade tropical-theme class party.

The ideas: a million. I scoured the interwebs and, with my mom's help, found a million and seven ideas. Flip flop cakes, surfboard cakes, pirate ships, sharks, fish ponds, boats, Hawaiian shirt cakes (which I might have to do for Father's Day), and more. After a couple days of considering the options (and my extensively-limited skill set and complete lack of experience) I circled back around to my original idea - a deserted island. The idea just takes me to a beach with Captain Jack Sparrow, digging up his bottles and exclaiming, "Why's the rum ALWAYS gone?!?!" (My favorite movie line of all time.)

Here's the concept I drew up:


Two-tiers, 10" round bottom, 8" pyrex dome "island" on top. Bottom tier will be white & blue vanilla cake with blue vanilla buttercream. Top tier will be yellow cake with mini-chocolate chips and brown sugar butter cream "sand" icing. The decorations are almost all molded chocolate. I have some great pics of those that will come next.

Cross all your fingers & toes for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment